Since it's the legislation's special day, I wanted to go over a few of the supremely awesome things it's allowed to happen since President Obama signed it:
- Congress will have the same health care as the rest of us.
- People under 26 can stay on parents' health insurance.
- Insurers must justify rate hikes.
- No discrimination based on gender.
- Insurance can't kick sick people off coverage.
- No denial of coverage based on pre-existing conditions.
- No annual or lifetime limits on needed care.
- No copays for birth control, breast pumps and domestic violence screening.
- Small businesses get tax credits to help provide insurance to their workers.
- Chain restaurants must post calorie content.
And to think that republicans want to gut the health care bill entirely and do away with everything above is mind boggling! I can't imagine going back to a time where insurance companies could kick people off their plan simply because they have a pre-existing condition - something the insurance companies have already said they'll do if the individual mandate is repealed.
So here's to Obamacare and many, many more years of access to affordable, quality health care for ALL Americans.