If Republicans and their donors hadn't spent enormous sums of time and money in recent years misinforming and confusing the public about the reality of global warming and climate change, this tweet from Rep. Jo Ann Emerson might be funny.
But they have, and it isn't.
Emeron's tweet is part of a proud tradition here in Missouri. Leaders in the MOGOP have done way more than their share to advance the causes of their polluting special interests. Here's just a sampling:
- Sen. Roy Blunt believes "there isn’t any real science to say we are altering the climate path of the earth."
- Rep. Billy Long says "there’s always changing and nobody really knows if it [climate change and global warming] has anything to do with man or not..the science I’ve says it does not."
- Rep. Blaine Luetkemeyer says “that human emissions of carbon are causing our climate to change has been proven very doubtful at the most by the sound science that’s being promoted at the present time."
- Rep. Todd Akin says he's "not convinced of the soundness of the science of climate change."
- Senate candidate Ed Martin thinks "the climate change debate has been now discredited in the sense that the ideological interests involved and the special interests involved have been shown to be corrupt."
- Rep. Vicky Hartzler says "a lot of data I’ve seen shows that perhaps we don’t even have global warming.
- Gubernatorial candidate Peter Kinder says the "science behind global warming is discredited"